“More than nine years ago, on January 21, 2006, to be exact, 20 people met at the University of Chicago to organize ARISC. Among the group were individuals who had developed other American Overseas Research Centers, together with Mary-Ellen Lane, then the Executive Director of the Council of American Overseas Research Centers (CAORC). Through the volunteer efforts of many of those who met then, most especially Gerard Libaridian (University of Michigan), Sanjyot Mehendale (UC Berkeley), and Adam Smith (then Chicago, now Cornell University), the legal steps necessary to go from an idea to an institution were completed: incorporation 2006, not-for-profit status 2007, information status CAORC 2011. A grant from the Leon Levy foundation in 2010 underwrote a planning meeting which lay the foundation for many of ARISC’s on-going activities, foremost the innovative Junior Research Fellowship that requires an active mentoring component to foster on-going U.S.-South Caucasus scholarly relationships. The program is funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Education, awarded in 2012, that also has supported the opening of ARISC offices in Georgia and Armenia. As one of the 20 who attended the organizational meeting, where we began with nothing but an idea and enthusiasm, I am pleased to see how much ARISC has already accomplished in its mission to support American scholars studying in and about the South Caucasus, bringing knowledge of the South Caucasus to a broader American audience, and building cross-board scholarly connections.”Karen Rubinson, ARISC Founding Member
How to become a member
- Determine the level of membership.
- Complete the appropriate form and email to info “at” arisc.org or mail to the address below. Institutional Members will need to submit a hard copy of their membership form.
American Research Institute of the South Caucasus
c/o Ian Lindsay
Dept. of Anthropology
700 W. State St., Suite 219
West Lafayette, IN 47907
- Submit annual membership fee.
Please note the membership year begins October 1 and ends September 30 regardless of when an individual or institution has joined during the calendar year. Members may renew their membership until January 1 of each year.
Benefits of Membership
Membership in ARISC has several benefits. Members have the opportunity to shape ARISC activities and offerings in the South Caucasus, if they choose to serve on a variety of committees. Access to a discussion group gives members immediate news on the latest scholarly developments and opportunities in the region. An annual newsletter and member directory are invaluable resources for following ARISC’s work and networking with a wider community of scholars. ARISC also works to publicize members’ scholarly events that are pertinent to the South Caucasus, and offers modest funds for co-sponsoring events.
ARISC has worked with several local vendors to provide discounts to members. Members should contact ARISC Resident Directors for more information.
- “Amo Rame”, a Georgian restaurant located at 4 Ingorokva St., Tbilisi, is offering 3% discount to ARISC members. For information on the restaurant, please visit: https://www.facebook.com/AmoRameTbilisi/
- Betsy’s Hotel in Tbilisi is offering a special price for ARISC members: $90 per night for standard single room, $110 per night for standard double room. Prices include 18% VAT and breakfast. More information about the hotel is available at: http://www.betsyshotel.com/
- Georgia Arts & Culture Center offers 10% discount to ARISC members in its Show Room “Istoriali” displaying rich collection of jewelry, miniature sculpture and ceramics on historical motives, high quality Georgian traditional Crafts – textile, embroidery, woodcarving, knitting, metalwork, books, posters & postcards about Georgian art and culture. In addition GACC offers 10% discount on conference room for public talks and presentations. For additional information, please visit: http://www.gaccgeorgia.org/gift%20Shop/GalleryFR.htm
- “Andranik Hrat” – a publishing house, would be glad to propose a 10% discount to those members of ARISC that would like to publish a book with them. More information about this publishing house is available at http://andranikph.com.
- Family Hotel is happy to provide a 3-5% discount, depending on the season, to ARISC members staying there. More information about this hotel is available at http://www.familyhotel.am.
- “Arthur” Beauty Salon is happy to provide a 10% discount to ARISC members interested in its services. More information is available at: http://www.armproduct.am/en/arthur-salon-studio-ԱՐԹՈՒՐ-ՍՏՈՒԴԻԱ-Գեղեցկության-սրա/.
Check again regularly as the list grows.
Anyone may become an Individual Member of ARISC, upon application and acceptance by ARISC. Annual individual membership dues are $40. Two years’ annual individual membership dues are $75.
Any undergraduate or graduate student currently seeking a degree at an accredited university may be admitted as a Student Member of the Corporation, upon application and acceptance thereof by the Corporation. Annual student membership dues are $10.
Any generally recognized academic or educational institution in the United States or Canada, or any association of such institutions, may become an Institutional Member of ARISC. Annual institutional membership dues are $500.
Overseas Institutional Membership
Any generally recognized academic or educational institution in the South Caucasus, or any association of such institutions that hosts ARISC in its physical space for an agreed period, may become an Overseas Institutional Member, upon application to the Corporation and election at a meeting of the Directors by vote of a majority of all the votes entitled to be cast thereat. Annual overseas institutional membership dues are $500.
Any public or private corporation that is not entitled to Institutional Membership may participate in ARISC as a Corporate Partner. Corporate Partners may be recognized at the discretion of the Directors upon submission of an application. Interested corporations should send inquiries to info “at” arisc. org.
Institutional Members“More than nine years ago, on January 21, 2006, to be exact, 20 people met
Member Websites“More than nine years ago, on January 21, 2006, to be exact, 20 people met
Membership Forms“More than nine years ago, on January 21, 2006, to be exact, 20 people met
Membership TestThere is no excerpt because this is a protected post.
Membership Payment Options“More than nine years ago, on January 21, 2006, to be exact, 20 people met