This project is a combination of theoretical course and practical training. The theoretical course features lectures in archaeology, zooarchaeology, anthropology; the practical training involves instruction in archaeological techniques and excavation.
Sundays are days off. Students will have an opportunity to take part in offsite excursion to other historical and prehistoric sites of interest in the Dmanisi region. The last Sunday of the field school is the day of departure.
Outcomes – After completing the course students will acquire or deepen their skills and knowledge in:
- Methods of excavation.
- History and archaeology of Dmanisi site
- Use and handling of the tools that are used during the excavations.
- Recording the data obtained during the excavation.
- Archaeological material preparation techniques in the field lab
- Use of Total Mapping Station.
- Study and typological classification of archaeological objects: ceramics, faunal remains, metals and etc.
- Lab works including: Restoration and drawing artifacts.
- New culture, New friends, New contacts
- At the end of the course, all students will be awarded completion certificates
Participants will also attend lectures about the history and prehistory of the site, basics of archaeology.
For additional information, please visit: http://www.dmanisi.ge/page?id=26&lang=en